Sunday 5 August 2012

Frequent dogs, catch fleas!!

I am itchy!!! I am itchy and scratchy and covered in bites. Little bites, big bites, nasty bites! I'm being feasted on by little demonic creatures festering in my bed every night. Somebody help me!!! There is no escape from this hell! I am trapped at mother-in-law's (MIL's) and there is no way out.
I am stuck in the world of the good daughter-in-law.
I show respect to MIL, smile and nod and strive to find things we have in common and to always remain positive. I couldn't do otherwise even if I wanted to. MIL is the kind to snap back at the slightest disagreement. God forbid I should cross her! Her fixed cold stare and sharp jagged-edged voice would soon put me in my place. The attitude I've therefore adopted is one of placid smiles, docility, helpfulness, showing my best side and trying to draw out hers! Anything to keep the peace! Not worth being in her bad books ever!!

Anyway, I was talking about my itch! FLEAS!! That's what's causing it! They're everywhere but I can't see them. Just their nasty bites. And their wonderful carrier is none other than MIL's darling dog. He can do no wrong in her eyes. He has his own TV seat, his own rug, his own sofa. We just need to live around him. And now he has his own pet fleas! He scratches all day long. MIL says her poor love has ECZEMA!! She is completely oblivious to his infestation - and to my pain!
I'm rubbing in creams and potions - nothing seems to help!
Back where I'm from, we have a saying : frequente licien, ramasse pices! Meaning, hang around with dogs (bad company)  and you'll get fleas.
And here I am, living the saying!
Oh what to do? There is no way out and it's too late to change my train ticket home!!
Here I'll sit until then, itching and scratching. Thanks to my poor frequentations, I have turned into a flea-infested dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment